Book List for Fall courses
Students are asked to purchase all texts needed for the courses for which they register. This should be done as soon as possible, in advance to the start of the class so that you will have these texts for the Aug. 27 start date. Listed here are the editions that will be referred to in class. Other editions and/or translations are acceptable; however, it will be much easier to follow along during the class if you have the same editions or later printings of the same editions as those listed below.
Catholic Theological Tradition I: Apostolic Fathers to Scholastic Doctors
1) Augustine of Hippo. The Essential Augustine. Edited by Vernon J. Bourke. Indianapolis: Hackett Pub Co, 1974.ISBN: 978-0915144075
2) Hardy, Edward R., ed. Christology of the Later Fathers. The Library of Christian Classics: Ichthus Edition. Philadelphia: The Westminster Press, 1977. ISBN: 978-0664241520
3) St. John of Damascus. Three Treatises on the Divine Images. Translated by Andrew Louth. Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 2003. ISBN: 978-0881412451
4) Richardson, Cyril C., ed. Early Christian Fathers. Christian Fathers, Simon & Schuster Touchstone, 1995. (Previously published by Macmillan, 1970). ISBN: 978-0684829517.
Recommended: Leith, John H., ed. Creeds of the Churches. John Knox Press, 1963. ISBN: 978-0804205269
Salvation History: From Adam to Jesus
1) Vatican II Documents, Dei Verbum.
2)Anderson, Bernhard, W. Understanding the Old Testement. (5th revised edition). New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 2006. ISBN: 9780130923806 ...
3) Michael Dauphinais, Matthew Levering. Holy People, Holy Land: ATheological Introduction to the Bible. Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2005. ISBN: 9781587431234 .
4) Scott Hahn. A Father Who Keeps His Promises - God's Covenant Love in Scripture. Ann Abor: Servant Publications, 1998. ISBN: 0-89283-829-9.
5) Aidan Nichols, O.P. Lovely Like Jerusalem - The Fulfillment of the Old Testament in Christ and the Church. San Francisdo: Ignatius Press, 2007. ISBN:9781586171681 ..
Understanding the Catechism of the Catholic Church
1) Catechism of the Catholic Church (second edition). Liberia Editrice Vaticana, 2000. ISBN: 1-57455-110-8.
2) J. Augustine DiNoia, O.P et al. The Love that Never Ends - A Key to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Huntington, IN: Our Sunday Visitor Press, 1996. ISBN: 087973852-9.
3) Francis D. Kelly, The Mystery We Proclaim - Catechesis for the Third Millennium. (second edition) Huntington, Our Sunday Visitor Press, 1999. ISBN: 0-87973-597-X.
4) Joseph Ratzinger, Gospel, Catechesis, Catechism - Sidelinghts on the Catechism of the CatholicChurch. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1997. ISBN: 0-89870-633-5
Saint Augustine and the Medieval Tradition of Faith
1) Augustine, Aurelius. Confessions. Translated by Henry Chadwick. NY: Oxford University Press, 1991. ISBN: 978-0199537822
2) Fairweather, Eugene R., ed. A Scholastic Miscellany: Anselm to Ockham. The Library of Christian Classics: Ichthus Edition. Philadelphia: The Westminster Press, 1961. ISBN: 978-0664244187
3) Bernard of Clairvaux: Selected Works. Translated by G. R. Evans. Classics of Western Spirituality. NY: Paulist Press,1987. ISBN: 978-0809129171